Friday, 1 November 2013

Halloween Sweets- good or bad?

We all know Halloween is a time for splurging our sweet tooth but as Halloween has come to an end many of us are eating the leftover treats that were suppose to be given out. But, you may want to think twice when you are about to reach for another piece of that chocolate bar.

We all have read the numerous facts and studies about how chocolate is actually heathy for us, but is it really? Chocolate is high in empty calories and a lot of Americans these days can eat three chocolate bars and still not be full and this all because of the empty calories in it. Empty calories causes weight gain and we all know that weight gain can cause so many health effects such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. The high amount of calories in chocolate bars are due to the loads of sugar found in them. But the sugar in the chocolate bar is crucial for customers to keep buying it. Can you imagine a Kit-Kat without it being sweet? It would be extremely bitter and no one would buy it. Next, chocolate contains a chemical called tyramine which is thought to be associated with migraines. This is why when someone finishes eating a chocolate bar they may experience a migraine. Chocolate also has a chemical known as oxalates which can causes kidney stones.

Now I am not saying to stop eating chocolate but you may want to eat less of it. Here are some healthier alternates to curb your sweet tooth.

-yogurt with granola
-trail mix

I hope you all had a great Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment